ALDI KAMADO

andya

16 hours ago, AmateurPitBoss said:

Anyone got any suppliers of good value lumpwood still with stock?  I've always used barbequik. Their restaurant lumpwood is 30 quid delivered for 2 x 12kg bags. So many places seem waaaaay more expensive than this.

Try BigK restaurant grade! 

re the pizza stone above looks out of stock, but this one appears to be the same size etc for less.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pizza-Stone-Baking-Set-Chrome-Stand-Serving-Tray-Peel-and-Pizza-Cutter/172613523210?var=471435761498&epid=1042159021&hash=item283091570a:m:mUnBCXGLpmj8mWfrP-61erQ

Edited by paulinportsmouth

On 5/14/2020 at 8:22 PM, AmateurPitBoss said:

Anyone got any suppliers of good value lumpwood still with stock?  I've always used barbequik. Their restaurant lumpwood is 30 quid delivered for 2 x 12kg bags. So many places seem waaaaay more expensive than this.

Restaurant Grade Cooking Lumpwood Charcoal 2 x 12kg, Perfect For Charcoal BBQ's, Large Chunks For Longer Burning Barbecues https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QK87785/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gM6VEb0M6TQER

I ordered this, in stock and good delivery. Think they’ve got a website and the more you buy the cheaper it is but didn’t want to buy five bags!

1 hour ago, paulinportsmouth said:

Did anyone get a larger heat deflector for this kamado in the end? If so where from? 

My personal view is that it isn't necessary, and others seem to agree. I'm still new to mine though, have you been having problems with yours?

3 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

My personal view is that it isn't necessary, and others seem to agree. I'm still new to mine though, have you been having problems with yours?

No issues as yet, was just from reading previous posts, think I need to try more and make a decision. Was comtemplating cutting in half like previous, so would be good to know I have a back up if anything goes wrong :P 

Hi just got my ALDI Kamado, I found through YouTube videos a person called Gavin Ball who makes steel plates for the ALDI Kamado, he does a full set with a full heat deflector, a half moon deflector, and a solid steel grill plate for £100 including FedEx delivery. He also offers a custom perforated grill plate with a fever tree design etched in, or a half grill / plancha, for an extra £50. His company is called Steel Smokin, just Google it for details. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, Kentish Man said:

Spoke too soon, have managed to break mine somehow this week, picked it up yesterday and between packing away earlier in the week and then its snapped in two :( 

So my AK kamado eventually turned up last Friday after ordering at 3am on April 26th.  XDP are the worst, no communication at all.

It has a small chip, nothing to do with the transportation, will have to see what aldi say.

I tried some brisket at the weekend but it was a bit tough and dry,  I had major issues trying to keep a steady low temp, it kept on dying and I had to relight a few times, temp shot up then back down. What am I doing wrong?

48 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

Where did you buy the brisket from? I'm keen to give one a go, but don't want to break the bank when there's every chance I'll ruin it....

I got it in Asda, it was a rolled brisket, I just cut the strings off and unrolled it. It was about £10. Had it on for 4 hrs and then wrapped it for 1 hour. My thermometer packed up, so was flying blind and going by the fork test.

I’ve just thrown lamb ribs onto my kamado for tonight.

1 hour ago, Kentish Man said:

Where did you buy the brisket from? I'm keen to give one a go, but don't want to break the bank when there's every chance I'll ruin it....

Try your local butcher. I went to mine and he told me that he'd do me one at £5.50 a kilo. Haven't tried one from him yet as I've got 2 full packets cooked in my freezer. If not you can get half a brisket from gridiron meat for about £30 I think .

38 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

So my AK kamado eventually turned up last Friday after ordering at 3am on April 26th.  XDP are the worst, no communication at all.

It has a small chip, nothing to do with the transportation, will have to see what aldi say.

I tried some brisket at the weekend but it was a bit tough and dry,  I had major issues trying to keep a steady low temp, it kept on dying and I had to relight a few times, temp shot up then back down. What am I doing wrong?

How did you start your charcoal? I’ve done a few on mine and it’s been absolutely brilliant at lasting for 7-8 hours. 
I used minion method: I started by filling the bowl with charcoal but leaving A small well in the middle. Few lumps of smoking wood in there too. Used about quarter to third of a charcoal starter with two natural firefighters until it’s going really well, and tipped that in. Leave vents open for a while  until you start getting to temp then start closing them down a bit at a time. 

Suppose the charcoal you’re using could effect it too?

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I fill mine with charcoal,put a firefighter towards the back and one in the middle,open my bottom vent full and leave the lid open until I start to get a glow,close the lid and the bottom vent to a fingers width but open the daisy wheel full until it starts to get to temp then adjust vents how I need too. I cooked a shoulder of pork like this for 10 hrs and still had enough coals for 2 more bbqs before I refilled. I use big k ach15 which morrisons are doing at the moment for £20 for 15kg and a few lumps of natural resturant grade beech briquettes 

The charcoal started fine, it was trying to run it low at 120-140, I think I was expecting a quicker change so may have been closing too much and killing the fire.

Inkbird thermostat did help to monitor it though. 

I got the blue bag restaurant  grade stuff

18 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The charcoal started fine, it was trying to run it low at 120-140, I think I was expecting a quicker change so may have been closing too much and killing the fire.

Inkbird thermostat did help to monitor it though. 

I got the blue bag restaurant  grade 

I leave mine about an hour,until the ceramic is hot,I find you get a true reading once this happens. I let mine run over temp,not by much maybe 50 degrees then close the vents down until it gets where I want it to be and just open them up a tiny bit

I have mine closed right down and it goes okay, bottom vent I have to have so only 2 or 4 of the small square holes are Open and the top vent is barely cracked open and it maintains quite well. I think someone else commented about how little air it needs. 

I think best advice I’ve seen on here is only change one thing at a time and make the changes gradually and also when you do make a change, give it a chance to work, it may take a bit of time to cool down/ heat up.