Lidl mini kamado 6th June £79

Raptor72

15 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I have seen this idea on The hangers are over the door hangers made from Stainless Steel, and a sauce pan lid, could use a shallow cake tin, terracotta saucer 

Thats a great idea. Im gonna get me some!

13 hours ago, tedmus said:

There is a guy on the Budget Kamado Owners FB page offering to make 3mm stainless deflectors for £20 delivered, similar to the one I bought from Germany.

Just a thought before you jump in on this suggestion. Does stainless steel have the same properties as Mild steel, i,e can you season it and use it to fry on? My mild steel deflector doubles up as a plancha for frying & searing. If Stainless can't do this then it will only be useful for deflecting heat. 

Food for thought.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Just took a measure of the one I had made up a while back. 

Mild Steel
190mm Diameter
4mm Thick
16 x 5mm rectangle cut to us the ProQ T bar for lifting
Rectangle cut 15mm in from the edge.

Looking on online HERE the nearest stock item is 200 x 4mm without hole for £10.99 delivered. This will give 5mm clearance between the disc & firebox. I presume this will be enough but when I had mine made up elected to go slightly smaller to ensure a decent airflow.

IMG_20200523_113328.thumb.jpg.9037cdc3c5c3cba7433a99a6161a06dd.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers n Gone NIck

Managed to pickup one of these for my first foray into kamado smoking. Big Weber kettle fan but I've not had the confidence to smoke any bigger cuts of meat, I've bought this mainly for doing pork shoulders :-)

Next up on the list:

* Figure out what to do with regard to a heat deflector

* Source some decent charcoal / lumpwood (wife bought some from Aldi with it but it's quick light stuff) and wood chunks currently only have some Weber chips 

* Find the best local place to grab me a shoulder with bone in, been told the supermarket ones are always naff

Really looking forward to it 🙂

23 minutes ago, Skagg2000 said:

Take your weber chips and put them in a foil wrap punctured with a skewer multiple times. 

It will work a treat. 

Cheers n Gone Nick

Just thought I actually have a little smoking box that I think might fit, never used it will have to check 👍

Tried mine with Weber briquettes today and they're so much better than the junk I had before. Nice and consistent with 6 briquettes burning steadily for 3 hours around 140 without need to adjust much. Would definitely recommend them over lumpwood for consistent cooking. Keen to try a pork shoulder this week now i've hopefully got more consistent temps.

3 minutes ago, doof205 said:

Tried mine with Weber briquettes today and they're so much better than the junk I had before. Nice and consistent with 6 briquettes burning steadily for 3 hours around 140 without need to adjust much. Would definitely recommend them over lumpwood for consistent cooking. Keen to try a pork shoulder this week now i've hopefully got more consistent temps.

Thanks for that. Gonna fire mine up tomorrow and experiment 😂 all parts for my deflector should come this week so hopefully next weekend a joint of pork 👌🏻

New member here also, having been convinced by this thread to pick up a little egg at Lidl.  I didn;t want to wait for a deflector to be delivered so I picked up a fairly chunky little aluminium non-stick saucepan at Morrisons and screwed off the head.  It fits nicely , seems to be working well, and cleans easily, but I am only resting on metal wire presently so I need to fashion some neat clips like some of you have done. 

I like to jump straight in so 7hr Pulled pork shoulder joint and 6hr fall-apart lamb shoulder cooked so far.  The egg just sits at 130-140 for hours and hours with a few chunks of restaurant charcoal, it is incredible!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kaenziro said:

New member here also, having been convinced by this thread to pick up a little egg at Lidl.  I didn;t want to wait for a deflector to be delivered so I picked up a fairly chunky little aluminium non-stick saucepan at Morrisons and screwed off the head.  It fits nicely , seems to be working well, and cleans easily, but I am only resting on metal wire presently so I need to fashion some neat clips like some of you have done. 

I like to jump straight in so 7hr Pulled pork shoulder joint and 6hr fall-apart lamb shoulder cooked so far.  The egg just sits at 130-140 for hours and hours with a few chunks of restaurant charcoal, it is incredible!  

Galviband is your friend for this & all kinds of other applications

Cheers n Gone Nick 

25 minutes ago, Skagg2000 said:

Galviband is your friend for this & all kinds of other applications

Yes! never heard of it before reading this thread - I'll look it up.  

16 minutes ago, doof205 said:

It's not huge but galvanised metal releases some toxic gases I believe. Ideally you want something stainless steel I'd think

Thanks, yes Id wondered about that.  I thought something designed to sit over a hot flame and cook food probably couldn;t go too wrong but it was rather a rushed purchase - the cake tins in morrisons were too big and my pork shoulder was in the fridge already 🙂    I will take a look around for alternatives but for £4 that let the games commence!

34a8f9ad-9956-484c-bb9f-25edbece371e.thumb.jpg.13d318ebd6c6e922ea22dd0dc42ba6aa.jpg334c9e50-5f56-4d35-a6b9-a70fc9330ad9.thumb.jpg.81796e8287586e0b07ed68f269fced41.jpg3a597ce4-5e43-4846-ad8e-dabf77435226.thumb.jpg.50528980f68b3468f6c739dbb510201b.jpg

Edited by kaenziro
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, doof205 said:

It's not huge but galvanised metal releases some toxic gases I believe. Ideally you want something stainless steel I'd think.

Valid point. I've used it for ages in the Cheap Jack Joe & all family members are currently still with us with no apparent adverse affects :)

Most metals will impart some form of residue when heated. Cast iron does it, albeit in a positive way for some, that's where the lucky iron fish came from that was used to add iron into the diet of those with iron deficiency.

Consider the amount of non stick Teflon that has been consumed by people over the years from non stick pans etc. All the carcinogenic mollicles we are consumed through the process of bbq'ing or smoking. 

There is probably more crap in some of the fuels that people use that could cause greater harm long term

I guess you just have to put the risks into perspective. Thanks for highlighting the point though.

Cheers n Gone Nick

8 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

I guess you just have to put the risks into perspective. Thanks for highlighting the point though.

With you 100% Skagg...if you take on board all of what's out there you would never eat or drink anything ever again. 😉.  Over the years we've been told that bacon, sausages, eggs, butter, red meat, beer, bla bla bla are bad for us...well I eaten & drunk my fair share of it all, and still do so today,  I'm 73 and I'm still going strong,  I'll live my life the way I want to...must agree thou stainless is best. 👍.

Ice.

• Like 1

I tend to lift out the fire bowl to remove the ash.

I have an ash pan from an old Weber to put the ash into. i have an ash scraper tool from the Aldi kamado I use sometimes but mostly I use my hand (wearing gloves) to get the bulk of it then brush out.

Love this little thing. I did some pork belly ribs this afternoon and with maybe 15 pieces of coal it lasted 5 hours before I closed it down. Checked what coal was left after it'd cooled and there's about 60% left!! Amazing.

Really pleased with the first try with the heat deflector. As Skagg2000 recommended I picked up a steel disc from ebay for a tenner and it worked perfectly with enough room around the edge to happily run at 120 degrees for hours even in the rain! I used these for holding the deflector https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Reversible-Over-Door-Hooks-Stainless-Steel-Hanger-Clothes-Coat-Hanging-Towel/223579292883?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=522323878244&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

See below, you can just make out the heat deflector. Yes I did just stick it on the wall in the bushes lol

-S13Vw90gkV59zZINcAvH3szoOqtan-cMW0uN1i1iKt6DwKEj7BbX6N5maGfMvsG9hDZ7oTeyys-krtIThDMWTwVXaAKI6oDzFo_3JD-Q7b9AXzMhCOBm0ZMK1E-6pSI76rUjaKc1sPr7lKaIXibEkOmpjtyCEVTvbe95X-uWE7xwKjekWYuF9Etta8M726yLstudJU8_KBBC6fVOco4uOgjaorUbqz03hdeLOcBSrtZQxn09dIoCt0KUI3U-kWaLoew_0yEcZJkFEe4o-5hjoGADa5MfXQ8BDKz9ec0kuWGHDg_9eN1c6X36Vcgj8bPcNC3_W2U0sd14fr3UyjPlz0D0HmDm2UNHS4QHZxIhxsY9N7L11UrzULh7jROVjGUEPE6AlL2nk7yJgaTZ3zN7YCmwSObc9P0-MSXSBGR_B_LCiboaZvKewf4diFt_z6a-24QOEbPP3wFZffdBWJQFI8IuPmFCRlNG0mQM50g7TpvBOghGulx7C7azrM1378h7J8zeZ6p5Tk8BYwE1LSDhy3a7697mpalDmbHiiEM7wxxAps0UCluINN6xfKS6p479GtbOEwbVbto00b8eBrS4wGVBmaGuuRAS2Sg1HtFlTJHq47ygeToeWBqIJ4hSgZaAfAqbdIod-aN51eblufBCfbLU5gynIx54eFQp9VT8cd6KFpXWwK3ZT1wNaK0q0k=w997-h1329-no?authuser=0

On 6/1/2020 at 9:52 PM, Skagg2000 said:

Valid point. I've used it for ages in the Cheap Jack Joe & all family members are currently still with us with no apparent adverse affects :)

Most metals will impart some form of residue when heated. Cast iron does it, albeit in a positive way for some, that's where the lucky iron fish came from that was used to add iron into the diet of those with iron deficiency.

Burning or heating (to high temps) galvanised steel is a no-no. Zinc fever isn't that nice https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever#Cause

Once it burns off all you are left with is mild-steel, so you might as well use that in the first place.

Stainless steel is the only choice for anything near food.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, doof205 said:

Kamados always work better with lumpwood, especially for long cooks. The lumpwood produces far less ash, it burns cleaner and hotter too.

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions on the best way to clean the enamel grill and stainless Steel heat deflector. Both currently sat in boiling water and washing up liquid quid. But can never get rid of the grease coating. 

Also has anyone seen any cast iron grills to replace the enamel one? 

My suggestion would be to use something like Oven Pride to clean the grills if they are that bad, usually a soak in fairy is enough to shift most build up. The steel heat deflector if it's about 4mm or greater would continue building up the oils to create a non stick seasoned surface to use as a Plancha.

Given the size of the mini Kamado i'd suggest the foil method is probably best with smoking chips , well that's what i find! Otherwise I put small chunks in with the coals.

Cheers n Gone Nick